*** NEW *** Sewing and Dressmaking with Dawn - Wednesday Evening
My interest in dressmaking and needlework began at school where it was the only subject I really excelled at. Despite my father reservations I left school to do a modern apprenticeship with a local tailoring business. Before children my career progressed to Bermans (subsequently Angels Costumes) and then the BBC Costume workroom making dresses and costumes for West End shows and TV or just doing adaptions for Bob Monkhouse and Les Dawson on live TV.
After my 3 children had passed their early years I found work making and altering wedding dresses for private customers and high street shops.
I have a passion for fashion and enjoy making things for myself, my friends and my family and look forward to sharing my experience with others.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN AND SEW IN THESE CLASSES:
- Learn how to set up and use a sewing machine.
- Make a simple item of your choice to get you started – we have ideas and suggestions to help you if needed.
- You are welcome to bring any project along that you may want to start with on your first lesson. It could be anything that you feel would be a good starting project, eg Home Interiors such as a cushion cover or bunting or maybe simple dressmaking such as a top or plain skirt.
- Make clothes from commercial paper patterns.
IMPROVERS AND MORE CONFIDENT SEWERS
- Learn how to read and work from a paper pattern including help with sizing and all the terminology used.
- Learn more advanced skills and techniques as your sewing skills progress.
- Work with a variety of different fabrics and learn how to handle some of their different properties.
CLASS TIMES: Wednesday 7:00PM - 9:00PM
COST : £15.00 Per Session
LEVEL : Absolute Beginner +
All our classes are now sold individually allowing more flexibility when making your bookings. You do not have to book consecutive weeks and you can book as many or as few as you like, just remember to allow enough sessions to enable you to finish your project. All bookings will be on a first come first served basis.
WHAT TO BRING:
- We have our own sewing machines in our sewing studio for your use. We provide up to date Janome sewing machines, however if you particularly want to learn on your own machine then you are more than welcome to bring it with you (don’t forget the lead!).
- A basic sewing kit containing – pins, fabric scissors, tape measure, seam ripper.
- If you have a project you want to work on then bring this along with you.
- Everybody who participates in a sewing class with us receives a 10% discount on any purchases made in Kayes Textiles. The discount applies for the duration of your course with us.
- If you need them then please don’t forget your glasses!!
- Please make sure you wear a mask to enter the shop and go up to your lessons and moving around upstairs. Once you are at your workstation they can be removed.
- If you have any symptoms please do not attend your class.
- Please feel free to bring along your own refreshments.