*** NEW *** Sewing and Dressmaking with Fleur - Saturday Morning
Fleur started sewing with her nan when she was a small child, making cushions and learning how to embroider. She attended sewing classes here at Kayes Textiles when she was 15 years old. Fleur then joined us to work on the shop floor for 6 years.
Fleur has recently graduated from Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, where she completed a degree in Costume Construction for Theatre. During this degree Fleur explored millinery, corsetry, pattern cutting and block making.
Fleur loves a challenge and a new project (you should see her fabric stash!) She is currently completing her teacher training in Design and Technology for ages 11-16. Fleurs classes are suitable for beginners and any project, whether your project is up cycling a pair of curtains in to clothes or creating a block to fit you, you’ll be sure to have fun in Fleur’s lessons!
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN AND SEW IN THESE CLASSES:
- Learn how to set up and use a sewing machine.
- Make a simple item of your choice to get you started – we have ideas and suggestions to help you if needed.
- You are welcome to bring any project along that you may want to start with on your first lesson. It could be anything that you feel would be a good starting project, eg Home Interiors such as a cushion cover or bunting or maybe simple dressmaking such as a top or plain skirt.
- Make clothes from commercial paper patterns.
IMPROVERS AND MORE CONFIDENT SEWERS
- Learn how to read and work from a paper pattern including help with sizing and all the terminology used.
- Learn more advanced skills and techniques as your sewing skills progress.
- Work with a variety of different fabrics and learn how to handle some of their different properties.
CLASS TIMES: Saturday 9:30AM - 12:30PM
COST : £18.00 Per Session
LEVEL : Absolute Beginner +
All our classes are now sold individually allowing more flexibility when making your bookings. You do not have to book consecutive weeks and you can book as many or as few as you like, just remember to allow enough sessions to enable you to finish your project. All bookings will be on a first come first served basis.
WHAT TO BRING:
- We have our own sewing machines in our sewing studio for your use. We provide up to date Janome sewing machines, however if you particularly want to learn on your own machine then you are more than welcome to bring it with you (don’t forget the lead!).
- A basic sewing kit containing – pins, fabric scissors, tape measure, seam ripper.
- If you have a project you want to work on then bring this along with you.
- Everybody who participates in a sewing class with us receives a 10% discount on any purchases made in Kayes Textiles. The discount applies for the duration of your course with us.
- If you need them then please don’t forget your glasses!!
- Please make sure you wear a mask to enter the shop and go up to your lessons and moving around upstairs. Once you are at your workstation they can be removed.
- If you have any symptoms please do not attend your class.
- Please feel free to bring along your own refreshments.