Curtains, Blinds and Home Furnishings with Jill
Teaching this course we are very lucky to have Jill Miller who runs her own Curtain Making and Design business in Southend, bringing you her wealth of knowledge and talents.
Classes are tailored to suit you, allowing you to make whatever you want to learn, from a wide range of home furnishing items, at a pace to suit you.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN AND SEW IN THESE CLASSES:
If you’ve ever wanted to make the perfect pair of curtains for your home in the fabric of your choice, then this is the course for you. It is suitable for absolute beginners as well as those wishing to enhance their current skills (no hand sewing or sewing machine experience is required).
This course will give you the opportunity to make your very own pair of lined pencil pleat curtains. The course takes place over 4 weeks and during that time you will cover everything from measuring your window and calculating how much fabric you will need to cutting out and matching your fabric to attaching curtain tape and linings.
We recommend that you start by making a small curtain in the class to learn the skills before embarking on a larger project.
If you fancy making your own Roman Blinds then you will be guided through on how to measure your window and calculate the amount of fabric needed and over the duration of the course will be shown how to cut wood battens, be shown how to attach the cord and rings and instructed on how to fix it to the wall.
CUSHIONS, CHAIR COVERS, PIPING, THROWS
On this course you can choose from a wide variety of home furnishing projects to work on. Fancy some new cushions for the sofa, or maybe a throw for when those nights get a bit chillier? How about a Christmas themed project, maybe a cute draft excluder or table runner to set off your Christmas table. Whatever the project for your home Jill will be able to assist you in making your chosen item.
CLASS TIMES: Friday 12.30PM - 3.30PM
COST : £18 Per Session
LEVEL : Absolute Beginner +
All our classes are now sold individually allowing more flexibility when making your bookings. You do not have to book consecutive weeks and you can book as many or as few as you like, just remember to allow enough sessions to enable you to finish your project. All bookings will be on a first come first served basis.
WHAT TO BRING:
- We have our own sewing machines in our sewing studio for your use. We provide up to date Janome sewing machines, however if you particularly want to learn on your own machine then you are more than welcome to bring it with you (don’t forget the lead!).
- A basic sewing kit containing – pins, fabric scissors, tape measure, seam ripper.
- The measurements of the window you will be making your curtains or blind for. We suggest you start off with a smaller window.
- Everybody who participates in a sewing class with us receives a 10% discount on any purchases made in Kayes Textiles. The discount applies for the duration of your course with us.
- If you need them then please don’t forget your glasses!!
- Please make sure you wear a mask to enter the shop and go up to your lessons and moving around upstairs. Once you are at your workstation they can be removed.
- If you have any symptoms please do not attend your class.
- Please feel free to bring along your own refreshments.