*** Sewing and Dressmaking with Zoe *** - Wednesday Afternoon
Zoe has been sewing since she was six years old, following in the footsteps of her Mother who worked for Singers and her Grandmother who was a milliner.
She trained in Textiles at Manchester University and after graduation ran a business making wedding dresses, evening wear and bespoke commissions.
Zoe then started teaching Textiles in 1991 and until recently was still involved in education, training teachers in all aspects of Art/ D&T.
Zoe’s classes are suitable for any ability and any project, whether it is making something from scratch and learning how to use a pattern, customising a vintage garment or mending a treasured pair of jeans (she LOVES working with denim!)
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN AND SEW IN THESE CLASSES:
- Learn how to set up and use a sewing machine.
- Make a simple item of your choice to get you started – we have ideas and suggestions to help you if needed.
- You are welcome to bring any project along that you may want to start with on your first lesson. It could be anything that you feel would be a good starting project, eg Home Interiors such as a cushion cover or bunting or maybe simple dressmaking such as a top or plain skirt.
- Make clothes from commercial paper patterns.
IMPROVERS AND MORE CONFIDENT SEWERS
- Learn how to read and work from a paper pattern including help with sizing and all the terminology used.
- Learn more advanced skills and techniques as your sewing skills progress.
- Work with a variety of different fabrics and learn how to handle some of their different properties.
CLASS TIMES: Wednesday 1:30PM - 4:30PM
COST : £18.00 Per Session
LEVEL : Absolute Beginner +
All our classes are now sold individually allowing more flexibility when making your bookings. You do not have to book consecutive weeks and you can book as many or as few as you like, just remember to allow enough sessions to enable you to finish your project. All bookings will be on a first come first served basis.
WHAT TO BRING:
- We have our own sewing machines in our sewing studio for your use. We provide up to date Janome sewing machines, however if you particularly want to learn on your own machine then you are more than welcome to bring it with you (don’t forget the lead!).
- A basic sewing kit containing – pins, fabric scissors, tape measure, seam ripper.
- If you have a project you want to work on then bring this along with you.
- Everybody who participates in a sewing class with us receives a 10% discount on any purchases made in Kayes Textiles. The discount applies for the duration of your course with us.
- If you need them then please don’t forget your glasses!!
- Please make sure you wear a mask to enter the shop and go up to your lessons and moving around upstairs. Once you are at your workstation they can be removed.
- If you have any symptoms please do not attend your class.
- Please feel free to bring along your own refreshments.